This station was first established in 1869 and closed in 1884 when there was difficulty in obtaining crew as so many fishermen had left the island. The lifeboat Mary and Victoria never launched on service and was transferred to St Helier when this station was established in 1884.
The Alderney station was re-established in 1985 after one of the newest design of lifeboat, a 33ft Brede class, sent to station in January 1984 for 12 months evaluation period.
Station established. Lifeboat house constructed at a cost of £235.
The stone quarry in which the lifeboat house stood was being reworked and a new one was being opened not far from the front of the boathouse. The working of the latter, it was feared, would considerably damage the roof of the boathouse. Great inconvenience was caused in launching the boat on account of the rails that were laid down on the way from the boathouse to the slip on the breakwater where the boat was launched. The Assistant Inspector reported that he thought a better site for the boathouse could be obtained near the Arsenal on the other side of the harbour.
Difficulty in getting the contract for moving the boathouse owing to scarcity of labour.
With the difficulty in obtaining a crew, as so many fishermen had left the island, the lifeboat station was closed and the lifeboat was transferred to St. Helier.
A 33ft Brede class lifeboat Foresters Future sent to station in January and placed on service on 10 March for a 12 month operational evaluation period.
The Duchess of Kent officially opened the station on 10 May. She presented the Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum to Mr John Kay-Mouat, President of the States of Alderney, for the life-saving work carried out by private boats in Alderney during the 100 years in which there was no lifeboat on the island.
The Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum accorded to Coxswain Stephen Shaw in recognition of his seamanship, leadership and dedication when the lifeboat rescued the crew of nine and saved the yacht Sea Keveral in a strong south westerly wind with poor visibility and heavy seas on 5 May.
Bronze Medal awarded to Coxswain Stephen Shaw and the Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum accorded to Assistant Mechanic Michael O’Gorman in recognition of their actions when the lifeboat rescued the crew of four and saved the yacht Sea Victor with engine difficulties, and taking in water in a southerly gale and rough seas on 4 May 1986.
A Bronze Medal Second-Service Clasp awarded to Coxswain Stephen Shaw, Bronze Medal awarded to Second Coxswain Martin Harwood, and The Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum accorded to Mechanic Nigel Rose, Assistant Mechanic Michael O’Gorman and crew member James McDonald in recognition of their actions when the lifeboat rescued six people and saved the yacht Seylla II which was in difficulty due to a broken rudder in a southerly Force 10 Storm on 25 August 1986.
Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum was accorded to Coxswain Stephen Shaw and Second Coxswain Martin Harwood in recognition of their actions when the lifeboat rescued the sole occupant and saved the yacht Gypsy Rover in very heavy breaking seas and a westerly storm force 10 on 26 August.
New assembly building providing boat storage area and improved crew facilities.
Waveney class all-weather lifeboat withdrawn on 7 March and replaced by the Trent class lifeboat ON 1199 Earl and Countess Mountbatten of Burma. This is the first of the Trent class to be placed on service at a station.
The lifeboat Earl and Countess Mountbatten of Burma was withdrawn and replaced by the Trent class Roy Barker I on 21 July.
D class lifeboat D-410 sent to station and placed on all year round service.
Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum accorded to Coxswain Stephen Shaw and Second Coxswain Martin Harwood in recognition of their actions when the lifeboat rescued the crew of five and saved the yachts Parthia in a severe gale and heavy seas on 27 June.
Her Majesty The Queen has honoured Mr Stephen Shaw, lately Coxswain, with a MBE in her Birthday Honours.
Bronze Medal awarded to Helmsman Philip Murray and a Framed Letter of Thanks signed by the Chairman of the Institution awarded to each of the two crew members, Francois Jean and Wayne Chandler, for attempting to save a girl, even thought the inshore lifeboat was severely damaged, after two girls and a man was swept into the sea at the Fort Clonque causeway on 9 August 2002. The inshore lifeboat saved the man. Crew member Mark Gaudion and Station Honorary Secretary David McAllister rescued the girl by crossing the causeway to reach her despite the strong pull of the tide. They were tied to a line held by policemen and others. They were both accorded the Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum.
Prior to the stations establishment in 1869 a Silver Medal was awarded to Gunner James Moore of the Royal Artillery at Alderney for rescuing 17 men of the crew of the French ship Carioca which struck the rocks under Hermitage Rock Battery on 19 October 1865.
Five Medals have been awarded, one Silver and four Bronze the last Medal voted 2002.