The station was established in 1838 when a private lifeboat was placed here by the Hon Mrs Upcher and named after her youngest daughter, Augusta. In 1894 this boat was replaced by another private lifeboat, the gift of the late Mrs H R Upcher in memory of her husband and named after him, Henry Ramey Upcher.
The first Institution boat was sent in 1867, she was launched from a carriage and was housed at the east end of the town near the Crown Inn.
Lifeboat house constructed at a cost of £251.
Heavy gales destroyed the slipway.
Slipway washed away by gales.
District Inspector reported that crew wished to discontinue their normal practice of electing a new coxswain every year and wished to have a permanent one.
Gas laid on to lifeboat house.
Owing to beach difficulties lifeboat was removed to Old Hythe.
Pushing poles supplied.
New corrugated lifeboat house and timber slipway constructed by Mr C A Saddler at a cost of £1,000.
Institution granted 7/6d each to crew of private lifeboat for service to barge Teutonic on 7 January.
Honorary Secretary, Mr P C Sawyers, had his leg broken at a service launch on 9 February.
New lifeboat house and slipway constructed at the end of the Promenade at a cost of £7,616 for Sheringham’s first motor lifeboat.
Centenary Vellum awarded to station.
Bronze Medal awarded to Coxswain J E Dumble for the rescue of 15 men from a Canadian steamer Eaglescliffe Hall on 30 October 1941.
The Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum awarded to Coxswain Henry West for the rescue of four men from the ss Zor of Istanbul on 19 May in bad weather. The Zor was listing and her cargo of timber floated out of her making conditions dangerous.
Silver Medal awarded to Coxswain Henry West and Bronze Medal to Motor Mechanic Edward Craske for the rescue of 18 men from the ss Wimbledon on 31 October 1956. Seas, some 15ft high, were sweeping over the steamer's foredecks and the whole forepart was awash. The service was one requiring courage and seamanship of a high order and was carried out under extremely hazardous conditions. Coxswain West was one of the first two members of a lifeboat crew to receive a gift from the James Michael Bower Endowment Fund. Awards for this fund, established in 1955, are made to those who receive either the Gold or Silver Medal of the Institution for gallantry.
Coxswain West, Second Coxswain H Joyful West, Bowman Scotter and Signalman Wink awarded the Thanks of the Institution inscribed on Vellum for the rescue of four people from the converted ships lifeboat Lucy on 15 August 1961. The Lucy was lying with the wind on her port beam with her engine broken down and she was making water.
150th Anniversary Vellum awarded.
All-weather lifeboat withdrawn on 18 April and replaced by an Atlantic 21 class lifeboat.
Atlantic 21 class lifeboat withdrawn on 29 January and replaced by an Atlantic 75. B702 was the first Atlantic 75 to be placed on service at a lifeboat station.
Partial first floor extension to the boathouse was completed in April in order to provide improved crew facilities. It included an enlarged crew room, kitchen, office, toilet/shower and watch-room.
New boathouse extension completed at a cost of £168,776.
The new station Atlantic 85 class lifeboat B818 The Oddfellows was placed on service on Wednesday 11 July. This lifeboat was funded by The Oddfellows. B702 has been withdrawn.
Three medals have been awarded, one Silver and two Bronze, the last voted in 1956.