Mark Hix’s Cuttlefish Risotto recipe
For the stock
- 1-1.2 ltrs fish stock
- 32g squid ink (4 sachets)
- Half a glass of white wine
For the risotto
- 1tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 32g (4sachets) squid ink, available to order from good fishmongers
- 200 g carnaroli rice
- Risotto stock (see above)
- A good knob of butter
- 100g cleaned squid, cut into small rough 1cm dice
- 1tbs chopped parsley
1. Mix the fish stock, squid ink and wine together and bring to the boil.
2. To make the risotto, heat the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, add the rice and stir on a low heat for a minute without allowing it to colour.
3. Add the squid ink, stir well then slowly add the hot stock, a ladle or two at a time, ensuring that all the liquid has been absorbed before adding more, stirring constantly.
4. When the rice is cooked add the butter and a little more stock if the risotto seems a bit dry: it should be wet but not runny.
5. Meanwhile fry the squid in the butter and scatter it over the risotto to serve.